The Flower Store Lady
1. With a pocket full of saved-up money
I headed to the flower store
With one big smile and my heart-a-beating
I pranced on through that door.
2. I knew that it was Mother’s Day
And so proudly I said “Excuse me
I’m here to buy my mom some flowers
Could you show me a big bouquet”?
3. With a smile she said “come along with me”
I followed her on down the isle
To a wall of the most, beautiful roses
So excited all the while
4. Then she asked me “how old are you”
I proudly replied “I’m four”
Then she asked me “do you have some money”
And I said “ Yes, from doing chores”
5. Then she asked, where’s your mommy”?
I said “at home, I snuck away” “
I walked three blocks, to surprise her
With some flowers on Mother’s Day”
6. So she said “that’s eighteen dollars please”
So in my pocket, I dug down deep
I brought up one dime and eight quarters
And that flower lady begin to weep
7. Then she wiped her eyes and took my coins
I watched as she placed them in the drawer
Then she carefully wrapped those pretty roses
I said “thank you mam” and left that store
8. Well my mother’s eyes welled up with tears
Though she knew I’d snuck away
And she never forgot those pretty roses
On that very special Mother’s day
9. And I’ll never forget that flower lady
And those kind words I heard her say
And I smile when I think of the tears I saw
In that store, that Mother’s day.
Yes I smile as I think of that special lady
And her kindness, on Mother’s day.